Tuesday, August 17, 2010

First Day

As if having Caroline turn five wasn't shock enough for my world, she had to go and start kindergarten today. She was so happy and proud of herself; this is a day she has been looking forward to for months. We made the first day a family affair. We all went to drop her off and walked her to the classroom. When we got there, she was ready to start playing right away. Jeff and I, on the other hand, were both a puddle of tears.

I've worked since Caroline was a year old, so I've had to be away from her all day during the week for four years now. This was so different though. I know it is cliche and sounds kind of trite until you actually experience it, but the saying that having kids and watching them grow up is like having your heart walk around outside of your body in this big world is so true. I couldn't be more proud of the person Caroline is; she is confident and lives life fully, but there is something in me that just wants to hold on to her hand. I suppose it's also true when parents say, "It's not that I don't trust you, I don't trust everyone else out there."

Here's a video of our girl about to leave the house for the first of many days of big girl school.



And here are the last few pictures we took as we dropped her off:




She ran right to the rug and had a seat after she gave us all a hug and kiss. Thankfully, we were able to hold off our tears until we left the classroom. I would hate for her to be known as the girl whose parents cried in her kindergarten classroom.


Despite all the tears and worry, we are truly so proud of her. We know that she is going to have a great day to begin a great school year!




Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Amelia said...

Agh, I just got all choked up at my desk looking at the pictures! It's so true that NOTHING ever on the planet, ever, will make us feel as vulnerable as becoming a parent. To love so wholly is an amazing, but sometimes reckless feeling thing! She looks great, and Ash, so do you!! Lovin that baby belly!! :)