Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Listening ears

When Caroline isn't listening to us or doesn't follow directions, we try to make kind of a fun game out of putting on her "listening ears." This involves pretending you are taking of her ears that aren't working and replacing them with listening ears. Caroline is a sensitive little girl, so the more we can get her to do the things we ask without resorting to fussing at her, the better. This is one of those little games that works; it puts a smile on her face and produces the behavior we went. Win -win!

Lately Caroline's ears have been bothering her and my suspicion for the cause of that pain was that her tubes were coming out or somehow stuck in her ear because she's had the tubes for almost two years now. As a side-note, I don't advocate putting kids under anesthesia, except of course when Mom really needs a nap (am I right?), but tubes work. Caroline hasn't had an ear infection in two years. In light of the recent ear pain, I took her to the doctor Tuesday. We found out that her tubes have indeed come out, but were sitting inside her ear canal bumping up against her ear drum, causing some severe pain. Since she's had this ear pain off and on for the last couple of weeks, she's been saying, "I can't put my listening ears on, there is junk in my ears!" Hopefully the new drops will flush out the tubes and we'll be able to put those listening ears back on soon.

Yesterday I was driving listening to the radio and a teaser for a story that was coming up piqued my interest. The story was going to be about "Media Rights", which to me, as a lawyer sounded somewhat interesting. I thought perhaps it was about some kind of intellectual property or internet law or something of that nature. As the story started I was quickly confused. The reporter kept talking about media rights that were going to be auctioned (huh?) and then went into a discussion of rocks found in different places around the world and their implications for the beginnings of life on this planet, blah, blah, blah. Yes, the story was about Meteorites. Apparently I need to put some listening ears on too

No comments: