Sunday, October 19, 2008

Weekend Update

On Saturday we went over to the PMAC to the Kiwanis Pancake Breakfast. We got there at a great time; the line wasn't long at all and we enjoyed some great pancakes and sausage. When we left the line was very long and when I tried to re-enter the building after we'd already gone outside, the crowd waiting was a little testy. As I am prone to do, I realized I needed to go back in to use the restroom after we had already walked outside and when I tried to re-enter through the exit door it was locked, so with a nice smile and in a kind voice, I walked up to the people in line at the entrance door and said, "I'm not trying to break in line, I just need to get inside real quick." A very large man behind me was rude and obviously in a bad mood because he had to wait so long for his pancakes and he said, "Well, lady the line starts way back there, you can't just go in here." I wanted to say something rude, but I refrained and just said, "I know, I'm not getting in line to eat, I've already been inside." He didn't look any happier, but I went on in nonetheless.

Outside they had the LSU Fire Dept with their trucks, a fire rescue training house, and the big ladder truck. Caroline and Jeff rode the bucket on the end of the ladder truck up in the air a good 50-75 feet and Caroline wasn't scared in the least. After that she wanted to go up in the fire rescue house so she and Jeff waited in line for that. As we were waiting I realized that the firemen were belaying people out of the windows of the house from about three or four stories up. I thought for sure Caroline wouldn't want to do that, but I didn't say anything about it to her and neither did Jeff. When it got to be her turn, they fit her with a harness and she and Jeff went in and proceeded up the stairs. A few minutes later I saw my little girl's face peer out of the third story window and then she rappelled down the side of the building all by herself. No fear on her face whatsoever. She was quite proud of herself when she got down and Jeff and I made sure she knew we were proud of her bravery as well.  I only wish we had brought the camera, but honestly I didn't think there would be that much excitement at a pancake breakfast!  

One thing we've learned with her when it comes to trying new things from food to rappelling out of a building, if we don't make a big deal about it or put our pre-conceived ideas into her head, she can make up her own mind and more often than not isn't afraid to try something.

I hope each of you had a good weekend too!

No comments: